Defensive Skills with
A series of group sessions featuring on-ice instruction with Mike Mottau and Brian Yandle geared toward giving defenseman the tools to process the game at a higher level.
After coaching and scouting for the past 6 years, I felt there was a need for some high level direction to motivated youth defenseman. The goal of these sessions is to introduce concepts and get reps in those situational tendencies that will give defenseman the tools to process the game at a higher level. Working at Hockey IQ just like a player works at physical skills is just as important, if not more important, to becoming a better player.
The on-ice sessions will consist of reps in 3 zones focusing on situational tendencies.
- Offensive Zone – blueline movements, partner passing, shooting, processing
- Neutral Zone – skating, edgework, escapability, skill work
- Defensive Zone – puck retrievals, partner support, passing, awareness
- Be dressed and ready 10 minutes before session starts
- Be prepared to listen to details of drill and execute to the best of your ability.
- Understand the concepts of the drill to be able to apply to game situation.
- February Vacation Week
- Canton Sportsplex
- Max 24 spots available each session
- Session 1: Birth year 2007’s-2010’s @11am-12pm
- Session 2: Birth year 2006 and up @12:10pm-1:10pm
For those interested in private lessons for both defensemen and forwards, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability.
“Be a student of the game, pick up on positional tendencies, work on your weaknesses but play to your strengths.”
– Mike Mottau